How to train a German Shepherd to come when called: If you have a German Shepherd, you know how important it is to be able to train them to come when called. German Shepherds are known for being one of the most loyal dog breeds. They are also very smart, which makes them a popular choice for families and working professionals.
Training your german shepherd is an essential skill that can keep your dog safe and out of trouble. In this article, we will discuss the best ways to train a German Shepherd to come when called. We will also cover why some dogs might not respond well to this command, and how you can fix the issue.
Can You Train a German Shepherd to Come When Called?
Of course! All dogs can be trained to come when called, including German Shepherds. The key is to start training early and to be consistent with your commands. Dogs are more likely to respond well to this command if they have a strong bond with their owner.
If you have a new German Shepherd puppy, the best time to start training is as soon as you bring them home. If you adopt an older dog, don’t worry – it’s never too late to start training! Let’s see how to train a German Shepherd to come when called.
How to Train a German Shepherd to Come When Called
There are a few different methods you can use to train a German Shepherd to come when called. If you don’t know anything about dog training, don’t worry – we will cover everything you need to know. And if you are interested to explore more about this breed, check out DWARF German Shepherd dog here.
The first method is called the “recall” method. This involves saying your dog’s name and then immediately giving them a treat when they come to you. This method is effective because it uses positive reinforcement – your dog is rewarded for coming to you.
Here are a few tips for using the recall method:
- Always use your dog’s name before giving the command to come. This will help them associate their name with the command.
- Give your dog a treat as soon as they come to you. This will reinforce the behavior you want.
- Be consistent with your commands. Dogs learn best when they are given the same command, in the same way, every time.
- Practice in different environments. It’s important that your dog knows how to come when called no matter where they are – inside the house, in the backyard, at the park, etc.
The Leash Method
The second method is called the “leash” method. This involves attaching a leash to your dog and then walking away from them. When they follow you, click the leash and give them a treat. This method is effective because it uses positive reinforcement and also provides some structure for your dog.
Here are a few tips for using the leash method:
- Start by attaching the leash to your dog’s collar. Then, give them some slack so they can move around freely.
- Walk away from your dog, keeping the leash slack. When they follow you, click the leash and give them a treat.
- Repeat this process until your dog is consistently following you when you walk away.
- Once your dog is responding well, you can start adding commands like “sit” or “stay” before walking away from them.
The Hide and Seek Method
The third method is called the “hide and seek” method. This involves hiding from your dog and then calling their name when they can’t find you. When they come to you, give them a treat. This method is effective because it’s a fun game for your dog and also reinforces the behavior you want. This will also develop a habit of returning to you when called even when the dog can’t see you.
Here are a few tips for using the hide and seek method:
- Start by hiding in a room where your dog can’t see you. Then, call their name and wait for them to find you.
- When they come to you, give them a treat and lots of praise.
- Repeat this process until your dog is consistently finding you when you call their name.
- Once your dog is responding well, you can start hiding in harder places, like outside or behind furniture.
Why Does My German Shepherd Not Come When Called?
There are a few different reasons why your German Shepherd might not come when called. The most common reason is that they haven’t been properly trained. As we mentioned before, it’s important to be consistent with your commands and use positive reinforcement when training your dog.
Another common reason is that your dog doesn’t have a strong bond with you. This can be fixed by spending more time with your dog and doing things together, like going on walks or playing games.
Finally, some dogs simply don’t respond well to being called. In these cases, it’s best to consult with a professional trainer who can help you troubleshoot the issue.
More Articles To Check:
German Shepherds are smart, loyal, and obedient dogs – and can be trained to come when called with the right method. If you’re having trouble getting your German Shepherd to come when called, try one of the three methods we’ve described in this article. With a little patience and practice, you’ll be able to train your dog. Hope this was helpful. Visit https://germanshepherdss.com for more information.