In this article we will teach you everything you need to know about how to train a puppy. Reached 2 months of life of our puppy. Training becomes one of the most important parts of development.
Every puppy must have clear and consistent limits and to have a well-behaved dog, we must begin training when they are 8 weeks old.
Training Basics: How to Teach a Puppy
- Family preparation: You will need to prepare yourself and your family for the responsibilities of having a puppy. Each member of your family should play an important role and contribute to the training regimen, maintaining the discipline that is the key to good training.
- Rules definition: From the first day our puppy enters his new home. We must define clear rules, but easy to follow. Do you want to prevent your puppy from asking for food while you are at the table?never give him food from your plate.
- Rewarding good behavior and how to train a puppy: The basis for good training is to involve some type of reward. This will motivate the puppy and reinforce good behavior, it is impossible to train a puppy without involving some type of reward.
The vast majority of puppies will react well to food as a reward, must see How to Introduce Baby To A German Shepherd Dog. This reward should be small but tasty, a small piece of dog food will be more than enough.
Can we reward him with big “treats”?
The answer is no, this is harmful to the dog’s health and can contribute to being overweight.
But we can involve juicier rewards, for example. In case our puppy is doing a very good job. Instead of rewarding him with dog food, we can reward him with a small piece of meat.
On the other hand, some puppies will react better to toys. We can reinforce good behavior by tossing them a ball every time they do a good job. But it is a less efficient and later method.
Types of training: How to train a puppy
We have a wide range of options regarding the education of our puppy. But below we will cover those that we consider to be the most important.
This type of training seeks to teach our dog the basic orders of obedience, which are to sit, lie down, follow us and stay still.
For this type of training, the most important thing will be the so-called “Reinforcement positive”. This consists of congratulating and praising our puppy when he does a good job.
The continuation of the previous method of training. In this case, the difficulty increases, and new tools are added, such as the support (object that the canine can transport with its mouth).
Ideal to teach our puppy where he should relieve himself. This method consists of spreading newspaper in places designated for cleaning.
Shortly after our puppy has fed, we must transport it to the designated areas, so that our puppy can relieve itself. Then we should repeatedly praise good behavior.
Finally, we will establish the designated areas for grooming, in which our puppy will return repeatedly.
Prevent puppy from developing aggressive behavior
For this we will have to caress our pet while it is eating. It is normal to get tense and in case we get an aggressive response. We must immediately stop this behavior.
Teaching our pup that people are not a threat to his food bowl. After this, we will treat this aggression by removing the food bowl and feeding it with our hand.
Basic rules for training: How to train a dog
- From the first day the puppy enters his new home. He must socialize and become familiar with the new members of his family, each one must define his role in the house. After the weeks, we will have to start with the training regimen.
- The puppy should not be allowed to become aggressive or defiant. This behavior is typical of a puppy trying to establish itself as a leader and can result in aggressive behavior.
- Socialization should begin when the puppy is 8 weeks old.
- In all training, some type of reward should be included to motivate learning and reinforce the good behavior of the puppy.
- At no time should fear be used as a training method, this will make the puppy distrust you.
- After the pup masters a command, it should not be rewarded for complying with the command.
Socialization: How to train a puppy
It is one of the most important parts of training and is essential for our puppy to become a happy and reliable dog.
By recommendation during the growth stage, we should take our puppy for a walk at least 5 times a week. Allowing you to interact with a wide variety of people and animals.
One of the best ways to socialize our puppy is by taking him to a fun and friendly environment. Dog encounters are ideal for our puppy to play and have fun.
Look for meetings organized by expert trainers or veterinary clinics. These always ensure that the meeting environment is a positive and fun experience. For more information check https://germanshepherdss.com website.